HAND on Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from HANDPDX. Make your own badge here.

A friendly note from OLCC about alcoholic consumption in March

St. Patty’s Day celebrations – Slainte! 

 

Portland, OR – For those who plan to paint the town green, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission reminds you to celebrate responsibly this St. Patrick’s Day weekend.  St. Patrick’s Day falls on Monday, March 17; however, many celebratory events are scheduled to start as early as Friday.

 

“Green beer, Irish whiskey, and Irish cream liqueur are all popular beverages on the one day of the year when everyone is Irish,” says Merle Lindsey, OLCC Deputy Director. “Whether you choose to celebrate at home or at one of 7,000 bars, restaurants and taverns that sell alcohol across the state, we ask that you plan ahead for a safe night and not rely on the luck of the Irish.”

 

Tips for St. Patty’s Day Celebrations:

  • Pace yourself – Enjoy water or a snack between beverages, it will help you make it to the pot of gold at the end of the night.
  • Don’t drink on an empty stomach - A serving of corn beef and cabbage can help your body process the alcohol.
  • Plan ahead for a safe ride home – Save a gold coin or two to pay for a cab or ride public transit
  • Thank your servers and bartenders – They have a responsibility to make sure that customers don’t drink too much.  If they take your drink away or offer to call you a cab – Thank them.  They are doing it because they are responsible and they want everyone to be safe.

 

 

Liquor stores across the state will have normal business hours on St. Patrick’s Day.  Visit www.OregonLiquorSearch.com for store hours, directions, and available products.

Notice of Street Closing on April 19 – SE Clinton Street

The 12th Annual Filmed by Bike is returning to the Clinton St. Theater this April 19-22. Filmed by Bike benefits NW Documentary, a non-profit organization that helps people tell their stories through film.

We will be closing SE Clinton Street as part of our opening day New Belgium street party on Saturday, April 19. The free event is all ages and features a beer garden, live entertainment, a video storytelling booth, a photo booth and a gigantic bike parking area. The street closure will affect SE Clinton Street between 25th and 26th Avenues, and SE 25th Ave from Clinton to Ivon with local access from Ivon. The streets will be closed from 1:00pm – 11:00pm. The street party is 4:00pm – 9:30pm.

If you have any questions or concerns you can contact sue@handpdx.org.

Loud and Clear – March 24 – SE Uplift – Panel on Neighborhood communications

SE Uplift invites you and your neighbors to come listen, learn and inquire about neighborhood-level marketing.

What: A moderated panel discussion with PSU Professor and local designer Kate Bingaman-Burt, ADX Marketing Director Tessa Blake and Neighborhood Expert Katy Asher. Followed by an audience lead Q & A.

Where: ADX Portland, 417 SE 11th Avenue

When: Monday March 24th, 2014
Time: 6 – 8PM

Bonus: Beer from Coalition Brewing, wine, and Pies from Pacific Pie Co. for your dining pleasure!

For more information:
seuplift.org/what-we-do/workshopsevents/

This moderated panel is intended to assist our coalition neighborhood association volunteers in crafting a call to action around their activities, including, but not limited to; neighborhood elections and summer events.

With this in mind the door is open to all. We have a sneaking suspicion that with such great panelists this event will be useful to anyone working in/with small organizations, particularly those who are volunteer-driven.

Upcoming City Meetings

The City of Portland invites you to participate in the four upcoming budget-related events.
City Utility Rate Review
Wednesday, March 19th, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Parkrose High School Theater
12003 NE Shaver Street
Portland, Oregon 97220
Community Budget Forum
Wednesday, April 9th, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Portland Community College, Sylvania Campus
Performing Arts Center
12000 SW 49th Ave
Portland, Oregon 97219
Community Budget Forum
Tuesday, April 22nd, 6:30pm-8:30pm
David Douglas High School, North Cafeteria
1001 SE 135th Ave
Portland, Oregon 97233
Budget Committee Public Hearing
Thursday, May 15th, 6:30pm-8:30pm
City Hall, Council Chambers
1221 SW 4th Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97204
City Utility Rate Review: The proposed combined rate increase of 4.92% will be explained in detail and the public will be invited to ask questions of City Commissioners and bureau staff.
Community Budget Forums and Budget Committee Public Hearing: these meetings will provide you with the opportunity to share with City Council how you will be impacted by the City’s budget decisions and express which City services are most important to Portland residents. The forums will be similar to a Council hearing, in which you can sign-up to testify before City Council.
For more information, please see these helpful Links:
For general questions about the forums or accommodations, please contact Sarah Diffenderfer (sarah.diffenderfer@portlandoregon.gov), 503-823-6925.

Public Forum on Sellwood Gap in the Springwater Corridor Trail

The SMILE Stewardship of Natural Amenities Committee (SNAC) invites you to

ATTEND A FAMILY-FRIENDLY PUBLIC FORUM 

about the Sellwood Gap in the Springwater Corridor Trail

7-8:30pm on Wednesday, March 12th 

at the SMILE Station (SE 13th Avenue and Tenino Street)

Hello neighbor! As you probably know, for the last couple of years many neighbors in Sellwood-Moreland have been engaged in a community-driven process to envision how new public lands surrounding the Sellwood Gap in the Springwater Corridor Trail could look once the trail gets paved between SE Umatilla and 13th. You’ve seen us at the farmer’s market and Sundae in the Park. You’ve talked to us at events on site and have come to design brainstorms at the SMILE Station.

 

Now’s your chance to attend the last in-person public forum during the public comment period which ends March 31st. 

We want your feedback on the goals and values that have been identified for this project so they may be considered in the final design plans for these lands. Join us to learn more about this opportunity, share your opinions, and engage with the neighbors who have been working to ensure that these new public spaces become treasures in our neighborhood.

Restoring native habitat… preserving corridors for wildlife…creating community gathering spaces… ensuring public safety… incorporating edible plants… maintaining open spaces for recreation… recognizing the area’s historic attributes… What is important to you?

Tell us on Wednesday, March 12th, 7-8:30pm at the SMILE Station (SE 13th and Tenino). Hope to see you then!

Can’t make it to this forum?

THREE OTHER WAYS TO COMMENT BY MARCH 31ST

  1. Complete the online survey
  2. Send a comment by e-mailcomments@sellwood.org
  3. Request a Survey by Mail by sending a self-addressed stamped business-sized envelope to SMILE, ATT: Sellwood Gap Survey Request, 8210 SE 13th Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97202.

For more information see below or visit the SMILE website www.sellwood.org/the-sellwood-gap-project

BACKGROUND:  

The Springwater Corridor trail is a popular bicycle and pedestrian path that parallels the historic Springwater Line rail route from inner southeast Portland near OMSI all the way to Boring.  The “Sellwood Gap” refers to an incomplete section of the trail as it runs through the Sellwood-Moreland neighborhood.  The Sellwood Gap begins just south of the Sellwood Bridge at Umatilla Street and extends along the railroad tracks to SE 19th Avenue at Ochoco Street. Through voter-approved bond measures, Metro purchased six vacant parcels of land within the Sellwood Gap to enable the City of Portland to pave the trail from SE Umatilla Street to 13th Avenue. Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) will manage the trail and the Metro-owned lands under the terms of an Intergovernmental Agreement.Though construction of the trail is expected to begin in early 2014, neither the City nor Metro has plans for the use of the land adjacent to the trail once this gap is closed. 

Residents of the Sellwood-Moreland neighborhood – acting through the neighborhood association’s Stewardship of Natural Amenities Committee (SNAC) – have initiated a community-driven process for deciding how these public lands could be enjoyed and maintained by neighbors and trail users in collaboration with PP&R.  In neighborhood meetings, proposed uses for the land have included restoring native landscapes, creating wildlife habitat, creating community gathering spaces, preserving passive open space, incorporating edible landscaping, and recognizing the area’s historic significance, among other values. While the group seeks public input on the emphasis for all six public land parcels, initial work will begin with a Demonstration Project on the triangular site located between SE Linn and Marion streets at 9th Avenue. Through a survey and two public meetings, SNAC’s Sellwood Gap Working Group and PP&R invite the broader community to provide input regarding priorities for the use of this land. The feedback provided will inform the group’s final design plan. The working group additionally seeks to identify people who are interested in helping to implement a community-driven vision for all of the public lands within the Sellwood Gap.


20′s Bikeway Open Houses

HAND Neighbors, 
 
Over the past several months, PBoT has been working with a stakeholder advisory group to plot out some options for a NE/SE 20′s bikeway.
Over the next week, there are three open houses where you can learn about the bikeway, offer your feedback and make any suggestions. You can attend, 1, 2 or all 3 of the events regardless of where you live.

Come anytime between 6 and 8:30 p.m.

 
  • NORTH:  Thursday, March 13, Fremont United Methodist Church (2620 NE Fremont)
  • CENTRAL:  Tuesday, March 18, Central Catholic High School (2401 SE Stark)
  • SOUTH:  Monday, March 17, Cleveland High School (3400 SE 26th Ave)
  
General Notification:
The project sent out a postcard announcement to approximately 17,000 addresses within 3-5 blocks of the project corridor near the end of February.  A press release was issued at about the same time.  Posters were developed and distributed to commercial establishments along the route as well (see link below).
  
 

20s BIKEWAY_poster

Notice of Liquor License Application

HAND Neighbors:

See liquor license notification from OLCC below .    If you have concerns or questions, please let me know within the timeframe indicated.   Notify me a few days before the due-date so I have time to put together a response to Ms Tenenholz.   Or, contact her directly.   If you do that, I would love to be CC’d on the email.

Thanks, Neighbors,

Susan Pearce, HAND chair

 

March 6, 2014

 

Susan Pearce, President                          via email: Chair@handpdx.org

Hosford Abernethy Neighborhood District

c/o Southeast Uplift Neighborhood Coalition

3435 SE Main Street

Portland, Oregon 97214

 

Liquor License Application for a Winery License

 

RE:    5Q Wines, LLC (Jennifer Jelinek & Heidi Ingelfinger)

dba: 5Q WINES

 

Dear Ms. Pearce:

 

The OLCC received an application for a Winery license at the above address.

The winery license allows you to import, bottle, produce, blend, store, transport or export wine or cider.  It allows the sale of wine or cider at wholesale to the Commission.  It also allows for retail sales of wine or cider to the consumer for consumption on or off the premises.

 

This location will be licensed as a winery no consumption so there will be no bottling, production, blending, storage, sales or service at this location – this is strictly an office space.

 

If your organization wishes to provide the Commission with factual information concerning whether there is a basis to grant or deny this license under the OLCC’s licensing standards, please write me at the following address:

 

OLCC

Deborah Tenenholz, License Investigator

P.O. Box 22297

Milwaukie, OR 97269-2297

 

If you have any questions, please call me at (503) 872-6874.  Please respond to this letter within 14 days of this letter’s date so that we can process this application in a timely manner. We will share your information with the applicant, make it a part of the public record and consider it when making a final decision.

 

Sincerely,

Deborah Tenenholz

License Investigator

March Board Meeting – DRAFT – Agenda

February 18, 2014

St. Philip Neri Church Paulist Center,

St Paul Room 2408 SE 16th Avenue (and Division)

DRAFT AGENDA DRAFT

6:30 LANDUSE COMMITTEE: agenda TBA

7:00: BOARD MEETING

7:00 Call to order Introductions 5min

7:05 Approval of Feb Minutes Approval of Treasurer’s report total 5min

7:10 Announcements (very brief, please) 5

7:15 Officer Yee 10 min

7:25 TriMet: PMLR report : Coral 10min

7:35 Better Block Portland (action item) 15 min

7:50 PBOT re Street Maintenance 20min

8:10 Committee Reports:

  • May General Meeting (possible action item) 10min
  • Community-Engagement Grant (action item(s))
    • 19th Ave Pocket Park: Amy, Joanne, Linda 5min
    • Piccolo Park (and more) plaque(s):Bill, Dave: 5min
    • Discussion, vote(s) 5min
  • Clean-up 10min
  • Volunteer assignments Use of funds? (possible action)
  • Powell Blvd High-Crash Corridor 5min
  • Other Committees 5min

9:00 Adjourn, tidy room, turn out lights.

 

Next Meetings:

Exec Committee: Tuesday, March 25 at 7:00pm Place TBA

HAND Board Meeting: Tuesday, April 15, 7:00PM at St Philip Neri

Candidates Forum – March 10

Candidates Forum
House District 42 & Multnomah Co. District 1

March 10, 7-9 pm.  Waverly Church, SE Woodward & 33rd.  RNA website:  http://richmondpdx.org/).

Powell Pedestrian Safety Meeting (Feb 12) Recap

Powell Pedestrian Safety Meeting Recap

February 12, 2014

Hopworks Urban Brewery

 

**If you live in HAND and have any questions, please contact chair@handpdx.org.

 

In attendance:

Nate Young, Hopworks

Tyler King, Creston-Kenilworth N.A.

Rich Newlands, PBOT 20’s Bikeway Project

Clay Veka, PBOT High Crash Corridor Program

Marilee Hilstrom, Hosford-Abernathy N.A.

Sue Pearce, Hosford-Abernathy N.A.

Shelli Romero, ODOT

Rachel Davies, Creston-Kenilworth N.A.

April Bertelsen, PBOT Powell/Division Transit and Development Project

Trell Anderson, Catholic Charities

 

 

Introductions

 

20s Bikeway Project:

Rich from PBOT discussed future plans for the 20’s Bikeway Project. The project will ultimately connect a ‘neighborhood greenway’ from SE to NE, somewhere between 20th and 30th, ideally around 26-28th Aves. Currently there are two options being discussed for crossing Powell Blvd:

1. Remove remaining parking on SE 26th, making room for full-width bike lanes on both sides of the street.

2. Remove the northbound bike lane on 26th, widen the southbound lane, and create a ‘bike couplet with northbound traffic using 28th.

Option 2 is currently preferred, and would create a signalized intersection at 28th Ave. (the current crosswalk is at 28th Pl.)

Earliest completion is likely to be 2015, with design, engineering and construction set to take the intervening year.

 

High Crash Corridor Program:

Shelli from ODOT and Clay from PBOT discussed the High Crash Corridor (HCC) program, which includes Powell from the Ross Island Bridge to 92nd. With the designation of Powell as a HCC, there have been increased “traffic enforcement actions” to encourage improved driver, pedestrian, and cyclist behavior, most recently at the crosswalk at 28th Pl in January.

ODOT is currently finalizing their Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) plan for 2015-2018. The current draft plan includes the following:

  • $3.4 million in the Fix-It Program that would make safety improvements on Powell Blvd. from 20th to 33rd Aves (listed as S8 – US26: SE 20th Ave – 33rd Ave. on the 100% Proposed Safety Projects list). These improvements would include things from tree-trimming to signalized crosswalks. See website for details.
  • $3.0 million in the Enhance Program that would improve transit access along the Powell and Division corridors (listed as E87 – TriMet – Powell-Division Corridor Safety & Access to Transit). This could include further safety modifications to improve access for those reliant on public transportation.

 

Shelli encouraged everyone to comment on projects that should be funded by the STIP plan, including the two listed above.

 

 

 

Timing:

Discussion then moved to identify the timelines of these various projects, which were grouped into three broad buckets:

  • Short-term (9 months – 2 years) – tree-trimming, sign-cleaning along Powell could be expected to happen starting the end of 2014
  • Mid-term (2016-18 STIP) – curb ramps, signals, ODOT Fix-It projects could begin in 2016
  • Long-term (5-10+ years) – High-capacity transit for Powell-Division Corridor, additional STIP plan and funding

 

Additional Discussion:

The group discussed a number of additional topics briefly:

  • Can Portland Police Department (PPD) run more visible enforcement along Powell during morning and evening rush hours? Could the officer that parks at Cleveland High School (at 26th and Franklin) park closer to Powell to encourage appropriate behavior?
  • Does Cleveland High School discuss traffic safety? Numerous students cross Powell to attend school in the morning and evening, as well as to get lunch at Wendy’s and Hopworks each day. Many of these crossings are made at locations other than the crosswalks which is frighteningly dangerous.
  • Could the median at 28th St. be signed as not for use by pedestrians?
  • What concrete steps can be taken prior to 2016 to improve pedestrian safety? Could funding be allocated for a Rapid-Flash signal at the current crosswalk location at 28th Pl.?

 

Bottom line: Current conditions present a real and present health and safety issue at this location and MUST be addressed sooner than 2016.

 

Next Steps:

  • Hopworks and Creston-Kenilworth and Hosford-Abernathy N.A. representatives will request a letter from their respective boards to ODOT supporting the STIP funds as well to PBOT supporting the 20s Bikeway Project.
  • Creston-Kenilworth and Hosford-Abernathy N.A. representatives will reach out to their PPD liaisons regarding increased policing along Powell.
  • Hopworks will contact Cleveland High School regarding student training and behavior.

 

A second meeting will be scheduled in mid- to late-March to reconvene and discuss progress and additional information.