

HAND MEETING 10/15/13 MINUTES

1. September minutes were not approved due to spelling and fact checking corrections.
Postponed until next meeting

2. Treasurer report was emailed before meeting (See attached)

Joanne Stainbrook moved to accept report; seconded by Linda Nettekoven; vote in favor unanimous

3. Jacob Brostoff, Crime Prevention Specialist at ONI presented about rash of car vandalisms that have happened throughout the city and in HAND. He reported a number of incidents occurred in SE involving tire punctures, slashing of convertible soft tops and motorcycle seats. The police are investigating he said, but they are looking for help. He suggested aiming lighting toward the street from houses and setting up any video surveillance toward the street. He encouraged residents to park off the street if they can and to report any incidents.

Liz Potter mentioned she had heard at the Richmond NA meeting a suspect had been apprehended in NE.

JB said he hadn't heard that and will follow up with the police.

Resident attending (name?) said police told him more than 1 person were involved. He also mentioned statistics he heard from manager of Les Schwab tire repair: usually 5-15 tire replacements per month; he is seeing 5-10 per day. Police rep said the overall damage was near half a million dollars so far. Have occurred on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday.

LP: In September there were 69 incidents, 51% were SUVs, 81% total number SUVs, trucks and vans

JB: Many were actually Prius.

Kelly Fedderson: Now that school is back on has there been a decrease?

JB: No decrease.

Resident (name?): With .5 million in damages would the mayor take a close look?

JB: We don't know the details of the investigation. If you feel strongly, I recommend writing a letter to the mayor's office. Richmond did.

Resident (name?): The vandalism is not only tire punctures, also keying, but more with what looks like an ice pick. Three types- tire slashing, keying, and motorcycle and softtop slashing

LN: There has been a question about neighborhood hiring private security. What can they do? Apprehend?

JB: Generally security will call police. Sometimes they detain. You'd probably want that if you hired someone...

SP: Can you give us a rundown on setting up a neighborhood watch?

JB: The point is to improve communication between neighbors. ONI organizes it. It's an organizing tool to get neighbors to know each other. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to do a training.

KF: How much is a security camera?

JB: At Costco they are a couple hundred dollars.

Bruce Bikle: Ladd's is set up horribly for this kind of thing.

First resident (name?): We need actions—Send a letter to the mayor to increase the reward to 5k, put in bait cars, more involvement from police, put on porch lights.

JB: There might not actually be a reward out right now... I'll check back with Sue (Pearce)

Bruce Bikle: Insurance company's might pitch in. This is happening all over town. It is costing them money.

LN moved to submit letter in collaboration with Richmond neighborhood to mayor's office about increased action on car vandalism. PV seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

J. Alyce raised concerns about coming park and ride concerns with light rail. Sue Pearce explained the mechanisms of setting up a parking permit area and shared contacts with the city.

JB: I will send info about strategies and suggestions.

4. Coral Egnew, Trimet gave an update on Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail . She explained there will be no park and ride at the Clinton Station. She reported that 8th avenue is open. At the end of September there was 17th avenue construction. The north side of Powell will close for a couple weeks for repairs. The Gideon street ped bridge over the UP tracks where the skate park is will have water utility work done near it for a couple weeks. The bridge will come down in early November. There will be notifications showing where to go for pedestrians needing to cross. The work plan for the demolition is in progress.

Marilee Tillstrom: We should encourage everyone to go up with a camera for the views.

SP: HAND board picture!

JS: What is the long term fate for the skate park?

CE: we are in contact with the organizer. It was never properly permitted, but we've been working closely with him. He is very understanding. I don't know the scope, but the city wants all liability gone. Right now, the guy is very understanding about the process.

5. Central Eastside Industrial Council (CEIC) Vision presented by Debbie Kitchin, CEIC Vice President

Our board put together a vision statement about the district. It has been designated an industrial sanctuary, but we keep hearing things like, "It's going to be the next Pearl." We thought there is great value in having an industrial area close-in with a wide variety of living wage jobs. Many businesses want a location here. Our vision is to preserve the sanctuary where a variety of businesses create a wide range of jobs in the central city.

This is our input into the SE quadrant plan for the Comp Plan.

We want to keep the intensive multiuse developments in the EX properties in the corridors (of MLK and Grand). Whether that gets as intensive as it can is the question. We are not recommending changing it back to industrial land. We are worried about multifamily developments and their impact on parking and transportation. As we go through the SE Quad Plan we will be involved. We want to keep industry were it is currently zoned and work with agencies.

JS: What type of changes do you hear from developers?

Debbie Kitchin: Some industrial owners have moved. A lot of speculators are out there. If you upzone you could make a lot of money. We feel the job benefits are more important. There are already a lot of developable lots along MLK and Grand. Some building conversions like Olympic Mills offer rents close to downtown's. We don't have data on (industrial) relocations to SE. We have had some new industry moves to the area like Stumptown Coffee which used to operate up on Division. With freight the city operates in a complaint system so conflicts cause problems. New Seasons has recently opened a new Central Kitchen in the former Tao of Tea space in the CEID. These are examples of new investments. We also heard there is \$14 million of new investment in the Dairygold plant.

JS: What is your relationship with OMSI and their plans for housing on their property?

Debbie Kitchin: They are looking at housing. Multi-family buildings have the highest dollar value. The office, retail and industry last. Paul Carlson (OMSI CEIC rep) thought our vision was too anti-housing. We are very supportive of employment development. At the Burnside Bridgehead there are many hundred unit developments, some with little parking. We always hope family developments have parking. At some point we need to build a parking structure.

PV: I think it is important to bring back some environmental consciousness to the group. Right now it can be quite a wedge.

LN: If you could highlight sustainability efforts it would be helpful—if there is any way we could help.

JS: Open space ideas in the vision. Would be interested to see if streets could be vacated to help with open space. Could be transportation issue, but...

Debbie Kitchin: 7th was considered a greenway but we had an issue with that because it is a major truck route.

SP: We will be hearing several different versions of how people see the changes ahead in the district—Michael Tevis, OMSI, etc.

6. Resolutions NW's rep, Joel Sjerven presented to the board his group's services through ONI. He invited neighbors to use their free service to resolve disputes. Moderation run through ONI, comprised of mostly volunteers with 1 year commitment. All mediators remain neutral and provide a safe forum where both parties address situation and needs.

LN: It was Resolutions NW who helped with our Safeway dispute. They got it together.

SP: Do you need volunteers or are you plugging your service?

Joel S: Plugging our services.

7. Update on the HAND sign

SP read an email from DK: He said he took pieces of the old sign and can glue them together and reform it as one with added support. He said he thinks he can change "development" to "district."

SP: We need consensus or vote on sign. Burger King is anxious to have something where the sign used to be.

BC moved to have sign fixed by Dave. LN seconded. Vote was unanimous.

MT moved to cover Dave's expenses up to \$100. PV seconded. Vote was unanimous.

8. Donation Guidelines

Subject deferred until next meeting. Only one copy of the draft was present.

9. Discussion of Communication Funds

Kelly F: 2012-2013 deadline now is to spend all amount before next round. All funds moving forward will be in-house. No deadline for that, just need to spend funds you have.

SP: We will defer this issue to next meeting.

10. Sandra Wolicki from the Peace and Justice Committee at St. Philip Neri presented about Thanksgiving Dinner for the SE Homeless, a partnership with New Seasons Seven Corners. She explained they need to raise 500 dollars with New Seasons. They have fed about 40 people in each of the last 2 years but they want to increase attendance to the maximum 60 this year, and are inviting families with limited resources as well. They have built relationships with the homeless and will increase canvassing of the area before the event to promote attendance at the dinner. Teddy Graham played the piano last year. Their group will canvass the area to let homeless know about the meal.

SP: Are you asking for donations? Are you asking for volunteers as well?

Sandra: Yes. We need volunteers for canvassing and some for the event, but not as many for the event.

PV moved to donate 150 dollars. BC seconded. Vote was unanimous.

11. Cleveland newspaper donation request skipped since representative was absent.

12. Amy Lewin on Report on Parks Committee

Amy explained they haven't met as a committee yet, but would meet on the following Monday at the Sellwood Community Center at 6 or 6:30. There is 8 million dollars in surplus SDC funds for parks. Some parks are already earmarked.

JS: there is a definite move to density in our neighborhood so making space for decompression is important.

SP: Thank you Amy for doing this. Amy knows how to deal with the Parks Department.

LN: Parks can be very opaque about how TSDC 's are spent.

AL: The meeting will mostly be housekeeping, but I encourage you to come.

13. SE/NE 20s Bikeway

SP summarized notes from PC. The next meeting is on 10/23 at 1169 NE 29th Ave. The route shown in email is not a straight through. It is not intended for someone going all the way from Marine Drive to Johnson Creek, but to feed into it instead. The concern is a loss of parking in some places like on 26th Ave.

LP: At the DCBA meeting Mary Anne Archambault, the owner of Sub Rosa, also a cyclist, said PBOT is being very receptive to solutions and is a good workable group.

14. The meeting ended with a discussion of how our police liaison has not been present and how it would be helpful to direct concerns and ideas about the car vandalism to him.

Sue Pearce explained that we can email or police liaison directly.